Regular readers will know our living situation took a turn for the worse recently and if you missed it, you can read about it here.
Following our visit to Shelter, a request for a review was made on our behalf which we also confirmed to the Council in writing ourselves. We also asked that we could remain in our current accommodation until the review was complete and a final decision made. In most usual circumstances, you still have to leave the accommodation even if the review hasn't been finalised. However, we have been granted the right to remain until a final decision has been made which is a relief.
I also contacted the Children's Centre where Harry attends nursery. I had been reliably informed that just about every service is offered at this particular Centre so when the Family Support worker finally returned my call, I advised her of our current situation and she has made an appointment to see their housing specialist there. Whilst this isn't until next Monday, this lady works part time for the Children's Centre and the rest of the week in Housing with the Council. I am hopeful she should be able to point us in the right direction in terms of getting help to rent privately if needed.
At the beginning of last week, I went to my GP and poured out my heart. I had received telephone advice that I had failed my pre-op assessment. Actually, I am not sure if I so much failed the tests on the day or whether the anaesthetist refused to give me the all clear on the basis of my notes from genetics in which my geneticist has requested a heart scan (I can't recall the name!). Whilst I was desperately upset and disappointed I logged onto one of the support forums I am a part of and it seems to be a fairly common requirement for sufferers of Chiari. After bringing my GP up to speed, both on the op front as well as the housing front, she offered to write a letter of support to the housing team for us. I am collecting this tomorrow.
We also received a call today. I say we, really D had to take it since I have laryngitis at the moment. Typical hey? Feel the most mobile I have felt in weeks and get silenced. Safe to say the Harry and D are loving it, Harry in particular when D had to go to the supermarket earlier and was left with me.
Anyway, our Health Visitor called today, requesting an update on our situation to see if we'd progressed at all. So D brought her up to date. She also advised that she too has written a support letter to the Council and has received a response confirming it will be taken into account. She did warn us that the homelessness team have a particularly heavy load at the moment so to not expect any answers any time soon.
For now, that is where we are at. Whilst in reality not a lot has changed, we have had a load lifted, albeit possibly temporary.
I would just like to thank you all for your support, you really have been wonderful.